Job Announcement – Executive Director for the Humboldt Area Saltwater Anglers (HASA)
March 25, 2019
JOB TITLE: Executive Director
SUPERVISOR: HASA President
The Humboldt Area Saltwater Anglers (HASA) was formed in 2008 to represent Northcoast fishermen’s historic and ongoing right to sport fish along the Northern California coast; advocate for reasonable and rational sport-fishing seasons and regulations; educate our members and the general public about the economic and cultural contributions of sport fishing to our local economies; and promote sustainable stewardship of the resource (HASA Mission Statement).
The HASA Board of Directors currently operates solely by volunteers, and also has volunteers that represent HASA at various fishery management meetings. To assist HASA in being more effective in meeting the goals and objectives required to carry out its Mission Statement, HASA is seeking to hire a part-time Executive Director to perform duties and responsibilities as prioritized by the Board. This part-time Executive Director will lead HASA into its second decade of advocating for Northcoast saltwater anglers sport-fishing rights, and promoting responsible long-term fishery resource management and stewardship.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with the President and Board of Directors to achieve HASA policy and management positions on fishery management topics.
- Implements the annual work plan, and assists in preparing future annual work plans and financial reports to the Board.
- Prepares materials for quarterly Board Meetings.
- Manages the annual budget and the bookkeeper in coordination with the Treasurer and the Board of Directors.
- Assists in recruiting new Board Members.
- Oversees annual fundraiser, including donations, organization, and advanced planning.
- Pursues other fundraiser efforts and possible grant programs for project assistance, and when appropriate, write and submit proposals.
- Oversees insurance, taxes, newsletter preparation, website management, and advertising revenue collections.
- Works closely with the Treasurer for timely financial reporting.
- Coordinates with volunteer HASA Technical Representatives to promote clear, timely and consistent policy guidance to fishery management agencies.
- Assists with expanding HASA participation on in-river management and improvements that are important for saltwater sportfish species (i.e. salmon).
- Coordinates with agencies, resource managers, elected officials, and other recreational fishing groups, including Oregon and Washington NGO’s, on fisheries management issues.
- Provides timely responses to members, potential members, organizations, agencies and others who communicate with the organization.
- Prepare quarterly reports on progress to the HASA Board.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Attends local meetings and meet with various local agencies when appropriate to represent HASA’s policy or management positions.
- Manages intern or student if local fishery projects are undertaken (halibut studies, fish tagging, river management projects, etc.).
- Works with local businesses to promote HASA goals.
- Coordinates with other recreational fishing groups, including Oregon and Washington.
- Develops and coordinates local boating improvement projects (i.e. boat ramp improvements, dredging).
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE FOR THE POSITION
Education: Minimum AA or BA Degree.
Experience: Good written and oral communication skills, sound organizations skills, previous experience working for non-profit or volunteer organizations, experience with word processing and spreadsheet software, budget management and annual budget preparation experience, grant application experience, and an understanding of northern California fishing and related natural resource management issues.
POSITION ESTIMATES FOR TIME MANAGEMENT
This is a new position, but we estimate time demands to perform the job description as follows:
- Spring Fundraiser Management: 20% (primarily in January-April)
- Administrative and Planning Efforts: 20%
- Project and Grant Efforts: 20%
- Meetings: 15%
- Newsletter: 15%
- Miscellaneous: 10%
These are suggestive times only to help clarify HASA priorities. HASA is a volunteer organization, and you can expect to be assisted by many volunteers to help with projects and the annual fundraiser.
The HASA Board of Directors has allocated up to $20,000 for 12 months of work, which will shift seasonally with the majority in the January-April period (spring fundraiser planning). The position is intended to extend over a 5-year term based on work performance and available funding. The position will be reviewed annually, and annual work performance review will be conducted by the HASA Board of Directors. We are seeking an independent contractor for the position, and anticipate a $20-$30 hourly compensation range depending upon qualifications (650-1,000 hours per year, 13-20 hrs/week). As an independent contractor, you must provide your own computer and office space. If successful in grant writing and fundraising, position could be expanded and compensation increased.
Please submit 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) three letters of recommendation via e-mail (preferred) at email@example.com, attention ED Subcommittee, or via USPS mail to HASA, P.O. Box 6191, Eureka, CA 95502. Questions can be submitted to HASA via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be open until filled.